The MidAtlantic Cup
July 3 - July 4, 2019
- Entry fee: $2,000 per boat (each boat is referred to as “Participant”).
Payment and Acceptance of Entry Fee: Payment can be made by standard commercial means either by mail, wire transfer or over the internet. After June 18, 2019, only internet credit card payments and cash (US currency only) will be accepted. All funds must be available without restriction to South Jersey Tournaments on or before 5:00pm, July 3, 2019 (unless otherwise stated, all times in the Rules refer to US EST). Each Participant must receive a confirmation number prior to July 4 which shall confirm Participant’s entry into the Tournament.
- Revocation of Entry: South Jersey Tournaments reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion, to reject or revoke participation by any Participant for any reason. Revocation may be communicated or sent to Participant by phone, fax or email and is effective when sent by South Jersey Tournaments.
- Withdrawal: Refunds will only be made for withdrawals if a written withdrawal and refund notice signed by the Participant is received by South Jersey Tournaments on or before 5:00pm, July 3, 2019.
- Qualifying fish: The qualifying length for Blue Marlin is 106 inches (LJFL). All fish below the qualifying length and those fish not expected to be the heaviest shall be released.
- Qualifying fish being weighed: Blue Marlin that meet the minimum length must be brought, aboard the boat on which it was caught, to an Official weigh station of The MidAtlantic Cup to be weighed. The fish must be available by midnight.
Winning fish: The winning fish will be the heaviest qualifying blue marlin caught in accordance with these Tournament Rules.
- IGFA and Government Rules: Subject to the express modifications set forth in these Tournament Rules, each Participant shall comply with the IGFA rules which can be viewed at www.igfa.org under “Fishing,” and with all applicable government fisheries regulations. Tournament Anglers MUST use only non-offset circle hooks when deploying natural bait or natural bait artificial lure combinations. Tournament anglers may deploy “J” hooks with artificial lures.
- Boundaries: There are no boundaries for this tournament.
- Prize Money and Distribution: Prize money is awarded for first place only in this winner takes all tournament to the Participant catching the heaviest qualifying blue marlin. Prize money shall be equal to 80% of Tournament Entry Fees (the “Prize Money”). The Prize Money will be distributed to the “Payee” designated in writing by Participant. IN THE EVENT THAT A QUALIFYING FISH IS NOT CAUGHT, THE TOURNAMENT PRIZE MONEY (TOURNAMENT ENTRY FEES MINUS 20%) WILL BE ROLLED OVER AND ADDED TO THE PRIZE MONEY FOR THE 2020 TOURNAMENT. Reentry and payment of the 2020 Tournament Entry Fee will be required to participate in the 2020 MidAtlantic Cup.
- Departure: Boats may depart at any time to be able to reach the fishing grounds.
- Fishing hours: Lines in the water at 8:30am and out of the water at 4:30pm in the Participant’s local time zone. Boats may catch bait prior to lines in. If a hookup is reported to MidAtlantic Cup headquarters prior to lines out and the angler reasonably believes that the marlin is the winning fish, the angler may continue fighting the marlin.
Video: South Jersey Tournaments reserves the right to require the winning team to provide a video of boated fish along with continuous video of GPS time and date to verify fish was caught during tournament hours.
- Polygraph: South Jersey Tournaments reserves the right to require that the angler and/or any members of the crew pass a polygraph test, administered in the manner determined by South Jersey Tournaments, in order to collect the Prize Money. All tests or other verification costs incurred by South Jersey Tournaments shall be paid out of the Prize Money.
- Determination and Verification of Fish Size: Fish weight as well as length (as measured from the tip of the lower jaw to the fork of the tail) and girth (the “Weight and Measurements”) shall be taken by a qualified weigh master approved by South Jersey Tournaments. At least two independent witnesses are required to witness the taking of the Weight and Measurements. The Weight and Measurements along with photos taken to verify the Weight and Measurements and the witnesses’ names and contact information shall be submitted to South Jersey Tournaments as soon as reasonably possible, but no later than noon, July 5. An observer approved by South Jersey Tournaments may be required for any Participant fishing in a remote area where there are no other Participants (the “Remote Area”). South Jersey Tournaments shall have the right to refuse any entry if it believes that adequate verification procedures are not available in the Remote Area to modify verification compliances and procedures in its sole discretion.
- Fishing Line Requirements: Any line (monofilament, Dacron or braided line) with a manufacturer’s stated breaking strength of 100 pounds or less; also accepted is any line labeled as “IGFA-rated or Tournament-rated” with a breaking strength of 130 pounds or less. Backing of ANY SIZE is permitted as long as the top shot does not exceed 130lb. test IGFA or 100lb manufacturers stated. IGFA Top Shot & backing rule.
- The catch shall be classified under the breaking strength of the first five meters of line directly preceding the double line, leader or hook. This section must be comprised of a single, homogenous piece of line.”
- Reporting: Participants shall use their best effort to report, as soon as possible, when a fish is hooked and then when any large blue marlin is boated and the estimated weight of the fish. South Jersey Tournaments may provide Tournament day activity on The MidAtlantic Cup website, or through Twitter or Facebook, as it occurs throughout the day, however, in no event shall South Jersey Tournaments have any liability for any such information that may later turn out to be inaccurate or false.
- Adverse Conditions: It is the responsibility of each Participant to decide in advance whether to fish on July 4. Participants shall not be entitled to refunds for the Tournament unless Participant complies with the refund rules set forth above. Participant shall not be entitled to a refund after the refund deadline due to the inability of Participant to fish on July 4 for any reason, including, but not limited to bad weather, adverse sea conditions, other acts of God, mechanical or physical conditions or other similar conditions or events.
- Dispute Resolution: In order for any dispute or protest to be considered it must be submitted to South Jersey Tournaments prior to 5:00pm on July 5, 2019. Any dispute shall be determined and resolved by the sole and absolute discretion of South Jersey Tournaments rules committee and said determination and/or resolution shall be final and binding.
- Indemnification: Anglers/ crews/boat owner and guests of Participant (collectively “Participating Parties”) enter the Tournament at their own risk, individually and collectively, and assume all risks which might occur. Participating Parties hereby release and forever discharge South Jersey Tournaments and their agents, employees, representatives, attorneys, shareholders, officers, directors, assigns, heirs and successors-in-interest from and against any and all claims, demands, obligations and causes of action, which Participating Parties may have arising out of or in any way connected with their participation in the Tournament.
- Jurisdiction: In the event of any litigation arising out of the Tournament, participant hereby consents to the jurisdiction of the New Jersey courts with venue in Cape May County, New Jersey.
- Consent to Rules and Failure to Abide by the Rules: Submission of your entry into the Tournament constitutes your acceptance of the Rules and your agreement to abide by the Rules. Failure to abide by the Rules shall constitute disqualification.
- Consent to use Photo: Participants consent to South Jersey Tournaments’ use their photos and any likeness in future publication or commercial use.