2022 Beach Haven Tuna Open
Tournament June 5-11, 2022
$5000 Heaviest Tuna $3000 2nd Heaviest $2000 3rd Heaviest
Eligible species: Bigeye, Bluefin, Longfin, Yellowfin
$500 per boat by May 20th, 2022, $600 per boat thereafter. Boats may register online via credit card, or prior to Captains meeting from 1-4 pm.
Sunday, June 5, 2022, 4:00 pm at the Beach Haven Marlin and Tuna Club 420 West Pennsylvania Ave, Beach Haven NJ. Awards will be given Saturday June 11 at 10 pm at the Beach Haven Marlin and Tuna Club.
Fishing Days and Times:
Boats will choose to fish ONE DAY of five fishing days – Monday - Saturday June 6-11. Boats may leave the inlet at Midnight on the day of fishing. Fish any time, no lines in/lines out times. The fish must make it back to the scales by 9 pm the day of fishing.
5-9 pm at the Beach Haven Marlin and Tuna Club. Fish may be brought to the scales by any boat or by motor vehicle. Saturday weigh ins are 5-8 pm.
Boats may depart any inlet in New Jersey. Boundaries are 110 miles from LE Bell Buoy.
All Tackle Tournament. All fish must be caught on hand cranked rod and reel either by trolling, chunking, jigging, live-lining, or plugging. See rules for more details.
$2000 Pool A Heaviest Tuna
$1500 Pool B Heaviest Tuna
$1000 Pool C Heaviest Tuna
$500 Pool D Heaviest Tuna
$500 Stringer – Heaviest 2 Tuna any species
$1000 True Daily Heaviest Tuna
**All Calcutta Payouts are 50% first place, 30% second place, 20% third place after 10% tournament fee
$250 Bluefin $250 Bigeye $250 Yellowfin $250 Longfin
1. Registration is to be made by vessel, not by angler. All vessels must fish under the “HMS Angling Permit” rules for this tournament regardless of permit held by vessel. One registration per vessel is permitted.
2. There are 6 available fishing days for the tournament as follows: Monday, June 6
Tuesday, June 7
Wednesday, June 8
Thursday, June 9 Friday, June 10 Saturday, June 11
4. Boats may depart any inlet in NJ any time after midnight the day of fishing. 5. Boundaries are 110 miles from LE Bell Buoy.
6. Fishing hours are not enforced, no lines/lines out times.
7. Each boat must submit a FISHING DAY CONFIRMATION via email to TunaOpen@bhmtc.com with a copy to email@example.com. Emails are required to be electronically time-stamped and delivered prior to 2 am on the fishing day (or the previous day) by any of 3 designated contact emails from each vessel. The Email must include the Boat Name, Tournament Boat Number, and state: “The [Boat Name] elects [date] as a fishing day.” Any boat not submitting the card or email by 2:00 am on their fishing day is assumed to NOT be fishing that day. Should a boat not submit a Fish Day card and still fish, that day of fishing is unofficial and cannot be counted or considered for anything in the tournament. NO EXCEPTIONS.
8. This is an All-Tackle tournament. All fish must be caught on hand cranked rod and reel either by trolling, chunking, live-lining, jigging, or plugging. IGFA rules should be followed with the following exceptions:
- Handing the rod while fighting the fish from one angler to another is permitted. - There is no limit for line class or leader length.
- Spreader bars, flippy floppies, splash bars, and birds are permitted.
9. It is not necessary to report fish to another boat or committee boat. There will be no committee boats.
10. Boats may depart from any inlet in New Jersey but must return in time to weigh in the fish at the Beach Haven Marlin and Tuna Club between 5-9 pm the day of fishing.
11. All fish may be brought to the scales by any means necessary to make the weigh in deadline. Any boat or any motor vehicle may be used to transport the fish to the scales.
12. All fish eligible for prizes must be brought to the official scale at the Beach Haven Marlin & Tuna Club on the same day as caught by 9 pm. A completed catch report must be delivered to the Weigh Master at the time of weigh-in.
13. Weigh-in times are between 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 pm, Monday-Friday, June 6-10th, weigh-in time for Saturday June 11th is between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 pm.
14. Any protest as to the weight of the fish, the manner in which it is being weighed or the condition of the fish must be made while the fish is on the scale to the Weigh Master. Once the fish has been removed from the scale, the weight is considered official and
shall stand. Any fish under protest will be kept at the scale location until the Tournament Officials release an official decision.
15. A protest may only be filed by a registered angler, registered crew member, BHMTC Weigh Master, or Tournament Director.
16. All protests (except protest by BHMTC Weigh Master or Tournament Director) must be made in writing and include the registered angler(s) name(s), a cell phone number and $1000 in cash or check (“Protest Fee”) made payable to Beach Haven Marlin & Tuna Club. If the Tournament Officials rule in favor of the person(s) that filed a protest, the $1000 Protest Fee will be refunded. The written protest must contain a detailed description of the protested matter and include any supporting evidence available. The written protest must be signed, dated and include time of written protest and must be delivered by a registered angler or crew member to the
Tournament Director, at the Beach Haven Marlin & Tuna Club.
17. Any other protest, including any boat observed fishing before 12:00am, must be presented to the Tournament Director, by 9:00 p.m. on the day of the
alleged infraction. The Tournament Officials shall serve as judges, and may consult with additional parties as needed, and their decision is final.
18. The Weigh Master has the right to protest any fish.
19. Only one day need be fished by at least one boat to make an official tournament and for the prizes to be awarded.
20. Any fish brought to the scale must meet the current NOAA regulations for bag limits and sizes.
21. Boats may fish other Tournaments during this time frame, but must adhere to rules, departure, fishing, and weigh times set forth on this tournament for the 6-day fishing window.
22. The Tournament Committee reserves the right to cancel the tournament or modify any aspect of it at any time, for any reason.
23. Any amendments to the Rules will be announced at the Captain’s Meeting on Sunday, June 6th at 4:00pm at the Beach Haven Marlin & Tuna Club, 420 W. Pennsylvania Avenue, Beach Haven, NJ 08008, Each boat entry is strongly encouraged to have a representatives attend the captain’s meeting; however, it is not mandatory. Rule
changes will be posted to www.tunaOpen.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/tunaOpen prior to 11:59pm on June 5th.
24. The captain and crew of a boat with mechanical problems may be allowed to switch boats. In this event, they will fish under the same name and same Tournament Boat Number. The Tournament Committee must approve such transfers.
25. All fish brought to the scales may be subject to examination by Tournament judges and/or fish ID experts and/or consulting biologists should there be any question about the freshness of the catch. It is the responsibility of the participant to keep all eligible
catches in suitable and proper condition until weigh-in.
26. Any fish mutilated prior to boating or landing the fish by Shark, Propeller, etc. will be disqualified.
27. Polygraph examinations will be required at the discretion of the Tournament Committee. The Committee shall have the right, at its discretion, to require a single person or multiple persons (including the entire crew) on a registered vessel to take a
polygraph examination. All persons selected by the Committee must take, and
pass at the determination of the test administrator, the polygraph examination prior to
the distribution of any prize or award money to them (or their vessel) by the Committee. The polygraph testing will occur at The Beach Haven Marlin & Tuna Club.
The Committee reserves the rights, in its sole discretion, to reschedule any
polygraph examination, or require additional polygraph examinations.
28. If an angler wishes to dispute an unfavorable polygraph result, the angler may have a second polygraph conducted within 10 days by a certified polygraphist by the
American Polygraph Association at the angler’s expense. This polygraph must be administered to ASTM standards. The decision as to which of the two-polygraph tests
will be used to determine prize money eligibility is that of the WMIT Committee in consultation with the polygraph examiner(s). The decision of the WMIT Committee
29. The Total Prize money will be based on a minimum of 50 boats. Prizes will be adjusted proportionately should the 50 boats minimum not be met.
30. In the event of a tie in any category, the prize money will be split equally.
31. Prize money will not be awarded to anyone who does not provide a social security number OR a Federal ID Number.
32. Prize money will not be awarded to anyone (individually or to a boat) selected by the Committee to take a polygraph test should that individual or members of the selected boat crew refuse to take a polygraph examination.
33. By participation in this tournament on any registered vessel, an individual is consenting to hold harmless The Beach Haven Tuna Open Tournament (hereinafter, the Tournament or TTAT) and Tournament Officials of the Tuna Open
Tournament, The Beach Haven Marlin & Tuna Club (hereinafter, the Club or BHMTC) and its Officers, Directors and members from any and all liability;
34. Members of the Tournament Committee (hereinafter, the Committee) are Tournament Officials. The Weigh Master for BHMTC is also a Tournament Official.
35. An angler or boat will be disqualified for such cause, as misconduct, unsportsmanlike behavior, or any other incident deemed inappropriate by the Tournament Committee.
36. Participants are assumed to have all necessary permits, licenses and/or registrations required by law. However, it is not the responsibility of the tournament officials or directors to verify that all required permits, licenses and/or registrations are acquired
by anglers or vessels participating in the tournament. We will accept any legal sized fish that was caught according to the rules set forth herein.